WELCOME

This is a casual documentation of our experiences in our new adventure.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Thematic Units

What is the Thematic Unit?
I took this definition off of the "interdisciplinary teaching" wiki page: "The most common method of implementing integrated, interdisciplinary instruction is the thematic unit, in which a common theme is studied in more than one content area (Barton & Smith, 2000)."

Why did I choose Thematic Units?
I really like the idea of studying one subject from multiple angles to reach a more in depth understanding of that subject. I also think this type of teaching will allow me to scale the work for two individual levels, while teaching the same concepts to both of my kids.

Our first unit:
We started with the Solar System. We had fun learning about the planets, the sun, comets, moon cycles, and more. Here you can see one of the art projects (a hanging mobile) we did at the end of the unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment