WELCOME

This is a casual documentation of our experiences in our new adventure.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Walking the Wetlands

Another timely opportunity




Today we went on a guided walk though our local wetlands program. The last time we visited the wetlands, it was a hot, early, October day and the wetlands were dry. This time, temperatures was near freezing, the wind was a bit nippy, and the wetlands were... wet. I had our new family binoculars to try out and the guides handed out binoculars to anyone who needed a pair, so the kids each had their own pair to use.

We are currently studying birds and migration for our thematic unit. So this field trip was perfect in its timing. There were six kids total on the trip, several retired persons, and many volunteers from the program leading the walk. I am still in wonderment as to how homeschooling (and living in a smaller town) has slowed me down as a person. I still remember the rush of being in a constant hurry, never having a minute to stop and talk. I still find moments where I behave this way. But more and more, I am learning to stop and listen. There were so many experienced bird watchers on this walk, all willing to share their knowledge with us and our children. And all forgiving when the kids ran ahead, skipping and making loud, happy, child noises.

I continue to enjoy learning alongside my children. One fact I learned today? This beautiful species, Anna's hummingbird, stays local throughout winter. Many do not migrate south along with the other species of hummingbirds as Anna's hummingbirds tollerate the cold very well. I hope this guy finds enough to eat, as I have brought in our hummingbird feeder for feer of freezing at these low temperatures. Perhaps we need to rotate feeders so we can always put out a warm one for those who stay in town.













No comments:

Post a Comment