WELCOME

This is a casual documentation of our experiences in our new adventure.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Motivation Works

 How A Motivated Kid Succeeds

I keep wondering how my kids can learn under the unschooling method. I want them to follow their passions. But at their ages (8 and 11), they seem to be passionate about YouTube and Minecraft. Yes, they have other interests. Yes, it is my job as the parent to facilitate learning for those other interests. But I keep reading about successful kids and how they followed their interests on their own. Because they were interested in the subject, they learned faster, deeper and without much direction from an adult. I just don't see that kind of behavior with my kids yet. They are young, and perhaps that is why. Or perhaps I'm too lazy and too hands off? Whatever the reason, this lack of motivation that fuels my desire to hold onto certain school paradigms I desperately want to let go.

This summer, my daughter participated in a day camp based on the theme of the Percy Jackson  novels. One of her tasks was to sharpen 10 sticks with a knife, unaided, so she could use them with a homemade bow. I was impressed with her dedication to the project. She stayed up late into the night, working in the dark, to get her 10 sticks completed.

I admit, I offered to help around 10pm. She refused my help, wanting to do it herself. I promised I wouldn't tell. I promised they couldn't figure it out. But she refused.

The cynical part of me thought this was only to avoid getting caught. Or to avoid being embarrassment in front of co-campers who she feared would finish without her. Or to avoid humiliation if she wasn't allowed to participate in the next day's events because she didn't finish. But, the optimistic part of me is proud of her. She was determination to do her own work, no matter how long it took. She made each stick "perfect". She kept her integrity about her and did all the work herself.

In the end, of course, the counselors realized the task was too long for one night and gave the kids another day to complete the assignment. My daughter, having finished the night before, enjoyed a night off, feeling proud of her accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment